A Red, Red Rose - Robert Burns Poem


"A Red, Red Rose" is a poem written in 1794 by Scotland's most famous poet Robert Burns and is written in Scots dialect.

This video was made to celebrate Burns Night, which is a celebration of Robert Burns and his poetry on his birthday the 25th January.

Burns Night is traditionally celebrated with a Burns Supper which usually includes eating 'haggis, neeps and tatties'. 

Haggis is the national dish of Scotland and is like a tasty oaty textured mince, neeps are mashed turnip and tatties are mashed potatoes.

Here is a link to another famous poem written by Robert Burns, which you may have sang on New Years Eve to welcome in the New Year 'Auld Lang Syne'
http://tiny.cc/AuldLangSyne


O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in june;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That’s sweetly play'd in tune;

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry;

Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only Luve
And fare thee weel, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho’ it were ten thousand mile.


Poem read by: David J. Glover

Comments

Popular Posts